Sunday, February 19, 2006

A way with words.

I've noticed quite often that I attempt to look and sound smarter than I am when I write. Many times I'll use a more extensive vocabulary in writing than I do when I am in simple conversation with someone. Also, I focus a lot more on being grammatically correct when I write than I do when I speak. Oh, and spelling. . .I can hardly stand incorrect spelling when I read or write something, and if I'm unsure about the spelling I most definitely have to check it, correcting it if need be. I believe the reason for this obsessive compulsion is due to the fact that written words are more immortalized than spoken words. Written words are (or can be) recorded to last forever, or close to it. Written words are also more easily remembered in most cases, and more often quoted. Does this mean I have a desire to be immortalized? If so, is that a bad thing? After all, nothing in this world compares to what God has in store. The answer, ironically, is not yes or no, but I already am immortalized in Him. I've already been guaranteed everlasting life with Him. So what does it matter if I write using correct grammar or spelling? Nothing more than to impress those on this earth, which isn't really necessary. I guess it's just a satisfaction to use that with which I have been educated in its proper manner. An expression of intelligence isn't a bad thing. On the contrary, it is good to express that which we have learned. I've just got to remember that my intellect is mere stupidity compared to the Omniscience of God, and not let myself become arrogant to the point of forgetting to keep my focus on Him. He is my rock and my salvation. I must keep my faith in Him and continue to trust Him with my life. Who knows what the Almighty has in store for me and my family? Only He does. Well, that's it for now. There's more to come, so stay tuned.

No comments: